As well as being a protective barrier against germs and pollutants, the skin is our largest organ of elimination.
According to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) it is considered to be our third kidney and is responsible for about ¼ of overall body detoxification daily, through perspiration and sloughed off dead skin cells.
Whenever any of the other organs - colon, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic and mucous membranes are overloaded and unable to cleanse the body properly, the others have to work harder.
Overload on the skin can show up as cellulite, rashes, zits or dry flaky skin.
Spending 10-15 minutes EVERY morning dry brushing helps! .
Benefits of dry brushing
- Exfoliates dead skin cells
- Eliminating skin dryness or dermal issues – eczema & psoriasis
- Opens pores to allow toxins to be released
- Stimulates and cleanses the lymphatic system
- Improves the immune system functions
- Stimulates the circulatory system
- Tones muscles
- Tightens and tones the skin - after weight loss or pregnancy.
- Improves the appearance of cellulite
- Before you get in the shower while your skin is dry is best.
- Use even sweeping motions with your
- Always brush towards the heart from the extremities.
- Avoid brushing over open wounds, rashes or varicose veins.
- Adjust the pressure over sensitive areas like soles of your feet or breast area.
Start at your feet brushing up the legs - front, back and sides to the buttocks.
Then, from the tips of your fingers brush up your hands, arms to the shoulder.
A little help is useful when brushing your back!
Brush from shoulders downwards (towards the heart) and from the waist upwards (towards the heart).
When brushing the neck and chest, brush toward the armpit.
Brush gently over breasts.
Finish with stomach brushing counter clockwise. (Following peristaltic movement.) From the top of the stomach area move toward your left, then down and moving toward your right on the lower area, then up and repeat.
Follow up with your shower. And if that wasn't invigorating enough you can finish up with an alternating cold and hot water rinse off - three times each.
Now would be a good time to apply that cellulite or a detox formula!
Thanks for visiting!